The tenant is responsible for reading the contract rules thoroughly before signing it upon arrival. Any uncertainties concerning the contract must be addressed by the tenant before signing the contract. Once you have signed a rental contract with KI Housing, you have agreed to follow the contract rules written below.
KI Housing accommodation
KI Housing does not own the accommodation that international students and researchers at KI can rent. All rooms and apartments are rented from different landlords and KI Housing sublets them to their tenants.
Water, heating and electricity
Water, heating and electricity are included in the rent.
If the cost for electricity exceeds the cost of normal electricity consumption, this will be charged to the tenant.
Internet access is provided as a service by KI Housing in most of our areas.
– one set of keys is assigned for a room
– two sets of keys are assigned for an apartment
The tenant is responsible for the keys during the stay and a fee will be charged if the keys are missing. The tenant must contact KI Housing immediately after discovering that the keys are lost.
All copying of keys to KI Housing rooms or apartments is strictly forbidden.
Occupancy – dorm rooms
All dorm rooms provided by KI Housing are meant for single occupancy only and it is only permissible for the contract holder, to live there (except from dorm rooms ensuite in Vårberg where two persons can stay).
KI Housing does not offer the possibility to move to an alternative apartment/room within an area or to another area. If the tenant is not happy with his/her accommodation, the tenant has the right to cancel the contract by giving the minimum notice time and look for housing elsewhere.
The tenant is not allowed to sublease the apartment/room. Subletting the apartment/room leads to termination of the contract with immediate effect.
As a tenant, you are responsible for your accommodation. We strongly advise you to sign a home insurance for your stay at KI Housing. If anything is stolen from your room, or if any property is damaged or lost during your rental period, you are responsible for covering the repair or replacement costs. For further information about home insurance, please see this link.
You are obliged to report any new damages in the apartment/room immediately. Damage that is caused by the tenant or has become manifest only after the final inspection will be charged to the tenant.
Problems in the apartment/room (electricity, plumbing, ventilation, etc.) need to be reported with no delay.
Request for an extension of a contract needs to be made by email to your booking coordinator two months before the end of the current contract.
The maximum rental time is one or two year/years depending on accommodation area.
As a tenant, you should be aware of that the apartment/room is rented for the full period stated in the rental contract (from the starting date until the ending date of the contract).
As a tenant, you have the right to cancel the contract before arrival or during the time of lease by giving the minimum notice time written below.
Cancellation before arrival
– For termination of a contract before the starting date of the contract, we require one month’s notice.
– Notice needs to be made by email to the booking coordinator responsible for the accommodation area. It is only valid after the booking coordinator has confirmed reception.
– The tenant is obliged to pay rent for one month from the date of giving notice if notice is given less than one month before the starting date of the contract.
Cancellation during the stay
– For termination of a contract before its ending date we require two months’ notice.
– Notice needs to be made by email to the booking coordinator responsible for the accommodation area. It can be given any date/day but is only valid after the booking coordinator has confirmed reception.
– The tenant is obliged to pay rent for two months from the date of giving notice also when departing earlier, unless KI Housing can find a new tenant who can move in earlier.
– When shorter notice is accepted because KI Housing has been able to find a new tenant to move in earlier, a late cancellation fee of SEK 500 is charged.
Rent and payment
A refundable deposit of SEK 2000 is charged and the tenant is obliged to pay the deposit on or before the due date of the deposit invoice.
Failure in leaving the accommodation in a satisfactory condition will result in our withholding part, or the total amount, of the deposit paid. For instructions about how to get your deposit back after the departure, please see this link.
Short stay fee
For short stays (less than 14 nights), a non-refundable short stay fee of SEK 1000 is charged because the administrative and operative costs are higher for short stays. A short stay fee of SEK 500 is charged for stays between 14 and 30 nights.
The rent is charged per night in accordance with the starting and ending dates of the contract.
The rental invoices are sent by email and the due date is clearly stated on the invoice. The tenant is obliged to pay the rent on or before the due date of the rental invoice.
Tenants who fail to pay in time will be charged a reminder fee of SEK 50. Tenants who repeatedly fail to observe the due dates will be given notice of termination of contract.
For further information about rent and payment, please see this link.
The tenant will not receive a rent reduction for any period when the landlord carries out normal maintenance of the room/apartment/building, in connection with the extermination of pests or if the internet service is unstable or down.