The amount on my invoice is not the amount I expected. What do I do?

The notification about the invoice shown in the portal only shows the amount and due date. If you want to see a specifikation of what has been charged for, you can download the invoice as a PDF-file. Click ”download invoice” in the invoice section and follow the steps.

How do I know that the payment has gone through when using some of the other payment methods?

The procedure for the payment to go through all systems involved will take several days (from 3-10 days). During this time, the invoice will still appear as ”not paid” in the customer portal. When KI Housing has received and registered your payment, the status of the invoice will be changed to ”paid”. As long as you pay on time, your invoice will not be considered as overdue even if the payment is registered a few days after the due date.

I tried to pay the invoice in the customer portal and got an error message saying that the payment was ”canceled”. What does it mean?

This error message usually means that you have interrupted the payment yourself. It is important that you always finish the payment process once you have started it. Make sure that you choose ”pay” and not ”cancel” when paying the rent online.

Will I get my deposit back after departure?

If you have paid a deposit upon arrival, the deposit will be refunded to you after departure if the keys are returned on time and the final inspection is approved.

Please note that your deposit will not be returned automatically. You need to submit the online deposit reclaim form at this link within two months after the day of your departure.

When we have received the correct information your deposit will be returned within six weeks.

For further information about the deposit return, we refer to the information at this link.

I am an Erasmus + student, do I have housing priority?

Erasmus + students who will be doing an internship at KI should apply as “Internship/traineeship student within Erasmus +” and do not have priority for housing. All internship/traineeship-students coming within an Erasmus+ mobility program should submit a document confirming this. You also need to ask your contact person at KI to fill in this form (download the form here), sign it and then upload it.

Erasmus Exchange students who are studying at partner universities that have exchange agreements with KI, have housing priority. These students are nominated by their home university for an exchange period at KI. To count as an Exchange student, you should have received an invitation/acceptance letter from one of the international student coordinators (at KI). See an example of this letter here.

I must add a contact person at KI in my housing application. I do not know who my contact person is – how can I find out?

Who your contact person is depends on what kind of student/researcher you are:

Exchange students get an invitation letter from one of the student coordinators at KI and it is the name of the student coordinator that should be stated in the housing application.

Program students receive an admission letter from the University Admissions in Sweden first and after a while they are contacted by KI. Bachelor and Master students can find the contact details to their contact person at this link. If you have doubts regarding who your contact person is, please send an email to

Other students or researchers  can be invited by a supervisor or a member of the research team at KI for research, traineeships or studies at a department at KI. The name of this person should be stated in the application.

I have been admitted to KI and want to apply for housing. What kind of acceptance letter should I submit?

The acceptance letter should confirm that you are admitted to KI and thus eligible to apply for accommodation from KI Housing. Upload the Admission Letter or a signed letter of invitation from your contact person at KI. At this link you can see the information that should be stated in the letter. If you have not yet received the supporting document, you can still apply for housing and add the document later, but as soon as possible, thus, your application will not be processed without the supporting documentation.

It says that the kitchen is equipped with basic cooking utensils. What is included?

All kitchens are equipped with pots, pans, plates, glasses, bowls, cups and cutlery etcetera.

What happens if I do not pay the rent on time?

Tenants who fail to pay the rent in time will be contacted by email and be charged a reminder fee of SEK 60. Tenants who repeatedly fail to observe the due dates will be given notice of termination of contract.

Page manager: Louise Richardson