Due to corona virus restrictions, I am not sure if I can make it to Stockholm to move in when my contract with KI Housing begins. Can I postpone the starting date of my contract?
You cannot postpone the starting date of your contract. You need to contact KI Housing to cancel your contract and submit a new application to KI Housing when you know for sure what date you will be coming.
I am staying in a student corridor/shared apartment. What can we do to protect ourselves and to prevent the virus from spreading in the corridor?
KI Housing has prepared some information especially for students living in shared accommodation such as corridors and shared apartments.
Please note that KI Housing has no access to medical expertise and that our recommendations and guidelines are based on the information given by the Public Health Authority in Sweden, the KI website, and also from WHO.
Symptoms: First of all, symptoms can vary a lot and depend on a number of different deceases and conditions. Without a test it is difficult to predict how likely it is that someone has been infected by the corona virus. KI Housing’s recommendations and guidelines are based on the assumption that anyone who feels the slightest illness, especially from the respiratory system and/or has a fever, could be infected with the corona virus, and should act thereafter.
Isolation: Anyone who feels unwell should keep to themselves as much as possible in order to avoid infecting others. A recommendation commonly used is that you should have a distance of at least one meter from a person who is sick and also not be in the proximity of this person more than 15 minutes.
Hygiene: Soap kills the virus. We recommend all tenants to frequently wash your hands with soap for at least 30 seconds. If you do not have access to soap alcohol-based hand rub is also known to be effective. Try to avoid touching your face.
Kitchen: Clean all cooking and eating utensils well after using. Wipe spaces that has been used for cooking. Eat alone in your room if you feel unwell. Anyone who has a corridor, or flat mate, who feels unwell could offer to cook for this person. An advise is that you together make a kitchen schedule to prevent that a lot of people have to use the kitchen at the same time.
Bathroom: The corona virus is mainly spread through droplets when someone sneezes or coughs. After using the bathroom make sure to leave areas that others touch clean, this rule applies to everyone, but especially to those who feel unwell.
What can I do to protect myself and prevent the spread of the corona virus?
KI Housing refers to the information written on the website of WHO. You can reduce your chances of being infected or spreading COVID-19 by taking some simple precautions:
– Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
Why? Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
– Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the corona virus if the person coughing has the disease.
– Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
– Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
Why? Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.
– Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow the directions written on the website of Folkhälsomyndigheten.
What actions does KI Housing take in order to reduce the risk for spreading the virus?
KI Housing has an ongoing communication with Folkhälsomyndigheten and follow all guidelines provided. Below you can read the guidelines for KI Housing tenants:
– If you would start feeling symptoms that could be Covid-19 it is important that you book a test, and that you isolate yourself in accordance with the recommendations.
– All tenants are recommended to keep a good hand hygiene and to regularly wash their hands with soap and water (minimum 30 seconds). Alcohol-based hand rub are provided in the KI Housing corridors at Jägargatan and Pax.
– Clean common areas often. Daily cleaning is provided at Jägargatan, where tenants share bathroom as well as kitchen. In all other areas tenants are themselves responsible for cleaning.
– Maintain at least 2 metres distance between yourself and anyone
– Avoid touching your face.
Take care of each other!
We encourage you to communicate and help each other as much as possible. If you are staying in a student corridor where several tenants share kitchen, we ask you to wait if there are several tenants in the kitchen in order to minimize the risk of crowding. If anyone in the corridor is feeling ill, a good suggestion might be to offer your help to go to the grocery store or cook in order to make it easier for the person(s) to isolate themselves.
What can I as a corridor/flat mate do to help others?
KI Housing encourages you to help each other as much as possible as we believe that this is a time when we all have a reason to come together and help each other.
If anyone in the corridor is feeling ill, a good suggestion might be to offer your help to go to the grocery store or cook for example so that the tenant who is feeling ill can limit the visits in the common areas.
I need to go home earlier because of the current situation. Can I cancel my contract earlier?
Yes, you can cancel your contract earlier.
If you need/want to return home because of the current situation, we ask you to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Will I be charged any penalty fee for cancelling the contract earlier due to the corona situation?
You will not be charged any penalty fee for cancelling the contract earlier.
The notice time for cancelling a contract during the time of lease is one month. For further information about our contract rules and rules for termination of a contract, we refer to the information at this link.
What needs to be done before I go home?
If you will be moving out on short notice, the tenant has the responsibility to clean the room/apartment and return the keys before departure.
We ask you to follow the checklist below:
1. Terminate your contract in the customer portal at this link.
2. Follow the departure instructions at this link.
3. Submit a deposit reclaim form at this link.
4. Even if your stay with us was shorter than expected, we ask you to answer our accommodation questionnaire to let us know what you think of our accommodation. Links to the accommodation questionnaires can be found at this link.
I am feeling unwell and might need medical assistance. How and where can I get it?
Call 1177 if your condition worsens greatly or if you develop breathing difficulties even at rest. A nurse will then guide you to the appropriate care at the appropriate place. Always call 112 for life threatening conditions.
The healthcare advice line 1177 is offered in English around the clock.
If you understand Swedish, we ask you to make the following self-test first before contacting 1177.