Step 3. After applying
What happens after applying? How does the allocation procedure work? When are the offers sent? Below you can read about what will happen after you have submitted your housing application. You can also read about our priority order and how the allocation of available apartments/rooms works.
What happens after applying?
When you have registered and submitted an application, you will receive an email confirming that we have received your application.
You can log into your user account any time to view your application.
The allocation process of available apartments/rooms starts 1-2 months before the requested date of arrival. If we are able to offer you accommodation, you will hear from us 1-2 months before your arrival date.
Please note that we only contact those who we can offer accommodation. If we are not able to offer you accommodation, you will not get a personal notification about this.
Information update on application status
Due to a complex allocation model, it is not possible to give answers and individual updates on application status.
Allocation of accommodation
We are looking at the following information when processing applications:
– Purpose of visit
– The University you are coming from
– The program you are participating in (if any)
– Date of arrival and departure
– The alternatives you have added to your preference list
– Letter of acceptance/invitation
– Application date
It is important that you have stated this information in your application and that the given information is correct, otherwise the application will not be processed. Note that applications without any letter of acceptance/invitation will not be processed.
For further information about our allocation model and priority order, we refer to the information below.
Dorm rooms and rooms in shared apartments
KI Housing allocates all available accommodation in a priority order decided by Karolinska Institutet.
According to the directions from our board, available rooms are primarily offered to:
– Bachelor and master students paying a tuition fee to KI (master students from a non-EU country). KI Housing receives a list from the admission office with the names of all students who have paid the tuition fee. Accommodation offers from KI Housing will not be sent before KI has received your tuition fee payment.
– Undergraduate exchange students who are studying at one of our partner universities and have exchange agreements with KI. These students are nominated by their home university for an exchange period at KI. To count as an exchange student, you should have received an invitation/acceptance letter from one of the international student coordinators (at KI). See an example of this letter here.
– Students/guest researchers coming from a prioritized university or within a prioritized exchange program. KI Housing receives a list from KI with the names of all prioritized universities and programs.
When all prioritized students have been offered housing, the remaining rooms will be offered in registration order. The applicant who has applied first for the specific allocation period will be offered a room first.
Note that these prioritized groups of students above are only prioritized for our rooms, not our studios and apartments.
The following groups are offered available studios first according to the priority order below:
– Guest researchers/PostDocs/PhD students coming from a prioritized university or within a prioritized exchange program. KI Housing receives a list (from KI ) of prioritized universities and programs each year. Only guest researchers/PostDocs/PhD students coming from these universities/programs that are written on this list have priority for our studios.
When all prioritized guest researchers/PostDocs/PhD students have been offered housing, the remaining studios will be offered on a “first come, first served” basis. The applicant who has applied first for the specific allocation period will be offered a studio first.
Family apartments and apartments that are bigger than studios
The following groups are offered available family/bigger apartments first according to the priority order below:
– Guest researchers and PostDocs bringing their families
– PhD students bringing their families
– Guest researchers/PostDocs/PhD students bringing their spouse/partner
When the groups above have been offered housing, the remaining apartments will be offered on a “first come, first served” basis. The applicant who has applied first for the specific allocation period will be offered an apartment first.
Offers are sent at the earliest two months before the requested moving in date. This means that if you applied in March for an apartment from November, you would receive an offer no earlier than in the beginning of September.
Please note that we only contact applicants to whom we can offer housing. If we are not able to offer you accommodation, you will not get a personal notification about this.
Sometimes we contact applicants on very short notice if we get a sudden cancellation.
Offer of accommodation
Check your email frequently
Offers are sent by email and will be published on your user account. You must log in to your user account to accept the offer before the expiry date of the offer.
It is your responsibility as an applicant to provide us with a current email address and that you also check your mail and junk mail frequently if the offer should get caught in the spam filter.
I was not offered my first preference – why?
We always check your preference list when booking and if you do not receive an offer for your first choices, it means that we are not able to offer you a room or an apartment in those areas.
If you are not interested in the accommodation alternative that has been offered to you, you can choose to be kept on the waiting list for accommodation that might become available in a certain area. Note that if you wish to be kept on the waiting list for accommodation in a certain area, you cannot keep the accommodation that has been offered to you in another area.
Expiry date of the offer
The last date for accepting the accommodation offer is given in the offer and it cannot be changed.
Declining an accommodation offer
If you decline the offer, your application will be cancelled. The apartment/room that has been offered to you, will be offered to the next applicant once you have declined your offer.
What happens if I do not respond to the offer on time?
Failure to respond is seen as a “no” to the offer and your application will therefore also be cancelled.
The apartment/room that has been offered to you, will be offered to the next applicant once your offer has expired.
How do I accept an offer?
Login to your user account and view the offer. Read the term and conditions written in the contract. If you agree to the terms and conditions, you can proceed with accepting the accommodation offer.
Note that once you have accepted an offer, you are obliged to follow the contract rules written at this link.